Hotels is Door County – The Landmark Resort | Lighthouses › Landmark Resort
Lighthouses in Door County
Baileys Harbor Range Lights
Built in 1869, automated in 1972. Between 1869 and 1969, these lights were used to gain safe entry into Baileys Harbor. When the upper and lower lights were lined up with one light over the other, the sailor knew he/she was in safe water. Both buildings are open for inspection during the annual Lighthouse Festivals (sponsored by the Door County Maritime Museum in June and October).
Cana Island Lighthouse, Bailey’s Harbor
The Cana Island Lighthouse, built in 1869 and automated in 1944, is an active navigational aid. Thanks to painters and photographers, it is one of Door County’s most recognizable landmarks. Located on a small island just off shore, the grounds typically can be reached by wading across a causeway. The keepers’ house, along with the oil house, is open to the public seven days a week from mid-May through the end of October. Operated by the Door County Maritime Museum; there is an admission fee.
Canal Lighthouse, Sturgeon Bay
Built in 1899, automated in 1972. The bustling Coast Guard-operated station is located at the mouth of the Sturgeon Bay ship canal. Grounds are opened to the public during the Door County Lighthouse Festivals.
Chambers Island Lighthouse, Chambers Island
The island’s lighthouse was built in 1858, automated in 1961. Normally not accessible to visitors, the lighthouse is reachable by special boat tours during the Lighthouse Festivals.
Eagle Bluff Lighthouse, Peninsula State Park, Fish Creek
Built in 1868, automated in 1926. The light source, of course, has changed from kerosene to electricity and in some cases to solar power. Here at Eagle Bluff, there still is no electricity. The beam that shines across the bay each night is powered by energy created from a small solar panel at the top of the tower. The Door County Historical Society has restored this structure and turned it into a living museum. Tours are operated daily through the summer and on weekends through the third weekend in October. A state park sticker is required.
Old Baileys Harbor (Bird Cage) Lighthouse
Built in 1852 and closed in 1869 after the construction of the Baileys Harbor Range Lights.
Pilot Island Lighthouse
Built in 1858, automated in 1962. A narrated boat tour passes the lighthouse as part of the Door County Maritime Museum Lighthouse Festivals.
Plum Island Lighthouse
Built in 1895, automated in 1969. A common sight for those taking the Washington Island Ferry. A narrated boat tour passes the lighthouse as part of the Door County Maritime Museum Lighthouse Festivals.
Pottawatomie Lighthouse, Rock Island
Built in 1836, automated in 1956. The grandfather of Door County lighthouses, it sits on what now is a state park. Rock Island and its lighthouse are reachable by ferry from Jackson Harbor on Washington Island.
Sherwood Point Lighthouse, Sturgeon Bay
Built in 1883, automated in 1983, Sherwood Lighthouse was the last manned lighthouse on the Great Lakes. The facility is used as a private retreat house for Coast Guard personnel. Grounds are opened to the public during the Door County Maritime Museum Lighthouse Festivals